- This event has passed.
Portland Fisheries, Aquaculture, and Tourism Workshop
December 13, 2013 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Please join Maine Sea Grant, University of Maine Cooperative Extension, the Lobster Institute, and the Island Insitute for an informative session on how commercial fishermen and aquaculturists can tap into the tourism industry, and vice versa, to diversify everyone’s sources of income.
These FREE workshops will feature guest speakers on the important legal issues of running a tour on your boat or on your farm, the ways in which seafood producers can build relationships with tour operators, restaurant owners and innkeepers to enhance their respective businesses, and more.
Workshops will cover:
What is the legal and organizational framework regarding fisheries/aquaculture and tourism? Including:
- Safety, Liability and Insurance issues
- Vessel requirements and captain’s licenses
- Aquaculture-specific issues
- Fisheries-related permit requirements
- Partnerships, contracts, and business models
- Tourism marketing and partnership opportunities
- Other laws such as ADA compliance, Coast Guard regulations and more
- Opportunities to connect with resource people to help you get started or go deeper with your ideas.
Stories from the field:
Hear from fishermen and shellfish farmers involved in fisheries or aquaculture related tourism, how have they set themselves up, what has worked, lessons learned etc.
Learn about related efforts and opportunities underway in Maine and beyond such as Experience Maritime Maine, Downeast Fisheries Trail, Bold Coast Scenic Byway, and businesses elsewhere that can serve as models for your own great ideas.